Monday, August 1, 2011

Teen Book Scene: And Then Things Fall Apart Playlist



Introducing the lovely and funny Arlaina Tibensky...

Arlaina Tibensky is the world’s oldest teenager. She lives in NYC where she curates the Pen Parentis Literary Salon at the Libertine Library. Her debut YA novel AND THEN THINGS FALL APART, about how Sylvia Plath and an old typewriter usher a reluctant virgin through the worst summer of her freaking life came out July 26, 2011 with Simon & Schuster. Visit her at arlainatibensky.blogspot.com. Come hear her read at Anderson’s in Naperville, IL on Thursday, August 4 at 7pm!

http://andersons2.indiebound.com/event/2011/08/04/day

I have this playlist for And Then Things Fall Apart and it is long. It has 85 songs in it. Maybe it’s not that long but it is too long to go into in great detail so, here’s the top 10 most played songs plus four more that really massaged my brain like a wad of pink chewing gum until it was entirely Keek and Keek was entirely me. Those last 4 songs made Arlaina disappear. Oh! The power of song! Actually all these songs are on Keek’s playlist because they made me feel powerful and contemplative, sexy and open, young and wise- Most like and unlike myself so I could tune out the world and… let Keek take over.

1. Smokestack Lightnin'
Howlin' Wolf
35 plays
This one makes me feel the kind of sad I get at Christmas, which is a feeling I adore.


2. You Know I'm No Good
Amy Winehouse
31 plays
God, this song so open and raw- love it.


3. Stand And Deliver
Adam Ant
Super Hits
28 plays
My love of Adam Ant knows no bounds.


4. Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)
The Shangri-Las
27 plays
This one tears you a new aorta. It reminds me that the passionate turmoil of being a teenager is timeless.


5. Coco & Co
Serge Gainsbourg
26 plays
Keek is kind of a Francophile and I love Serge Gainsbourg. Coincidence?


6. Girl Like You
Edwyn Collins
25 plays
I had a boyfriend that always played this song in his car when he picked me up from the train station. I hear it and I fall in love all over again. We are now married.


7. Free
Cat Power
24 plays
This one makes me breathe deeper and feel like I could fly.


8. Money
Alan Cumming And The Kit Kat Girls
Cabaret: The New Broadway Cast Recording (1998 Broadway Revival)
20 plays
My favorite musical ever. This version of the money song is perfect and raw and features Alan Cumming at the peak of his powers.


9. Love Will Tear Us Apart
Joy Division
21 plays
It’s on everyone’s playlist isn’t it? For good reason.


10. Planet Claire
The B-52's
20 plays
Planet Claire has pink hair. All the trees are red.


4 BONUS TRACKS

1.Cherry Bomb
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
16 Plays
My idols.

2. I Wanna Be Your Dog
The Stooges
18
Iggy Pop pulling words out of my guts one snarling chord at a time

3. Like Cockatoos
The Cure
18 plays
I hear this song and I am instantly16 and in an attic making out with my hot goth boyfriend. INSTANTLY.

4. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
Eurythmics
18 plays
When I was a kid this song was what I imagined sex was like. There. I said it.

Thank you, Arlaina for the awesome insight!

LiLi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software