Friday, October 14, 2011

Teen Book Scene: Cracked Cover Feature


Introducing author of Cracked, KM Walton...


K.M. Walton writes contemporary YA, middle grade suspense, picture books and nonfiction. Her debut contemporary YA novel, CRACKED comes out from Simon Pulse ~ Simon & Schuster in January 3, 2012. She is fortunate to be represented by the lovely Sarah LaPolla from Curtis Brown Ltd.
K. M. had a dream when she was a little girl. Actually she had a gazillion dreams, and she spent a large amount of her childhood wondering what her future would hold. Her biggest dream was to be a teacher. Teaching became a reality for K. M. and she taught for twelve glorious years – some of it in Osteen, Florida and most of it in Springfield, Pennsylvania (Hi, Osteen Elementary and ETR Middle School!!). But, it turns out writing is K. M. Walton’s favorite thing to do in the whole world. Even the hard parts – and there are a lot of hard parts.

First, a sincere thank you to Lili for hosting me today on Chica Reader.
The love the cover of CRACKED, and I know I’m a bit partial, being the author and all, but it’s true. When my editor asked me if I had any cover ideas I’d like her to pass on to the art department I replied: I’ve got nothing. The only thing I requested is that there be no people on the cover. I’m a big fan of simple covers like these:


As well as John Green’s LOOKING FOR ALASKA and the Twilight covers. So when my editor sent the email with the cover image attached, I screamed out loud with happiness. It was everything I wanted, even though I didn’t know I wanted it. Part of the novel takes place in the psych ward of a hospital, hence the pill cup. I like to think that the two pills represent the two main characters—Victor and Bull—but I’ve never had that confirmed by the talented people who created it. Perhaps one day I will be able to ask them in person. The feedback I’ve gotten has been overwhelmingly positive. Everything from, “Wow, you hit the cover lottery!” to “If I were a teenager in the bookstore I’d definitely pick this book up!”
I can’t wait until January 3, 2012!

Thanks to KM and Teen Book Scene!

LiLi

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me and my cover, Lili!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cover that certainly draws attention and makes me curious about whats inside!

    ReplyDelete

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software