Monday, October 17, 2011

Teen Book Scene: Amplified Author Interview with Tara Kelly


Introducing author Tara Kelly...

Tara Kelly adores variety in her life. She's a YA author, one-girl-band, web designer, video editor, digital photographer, and literary agent intern. She lives in Portland with her ten guitars, supercool bf, and a fluffy cat named Maestro.





Onto the interview with some book line answers...

What instrument would you play if you were in a band?

Everything.

What sorts of advice would you give other musicians to pursue their dream?

I had to know if I was meant to be a musician. Otherwise, I’d spend the rest of my life regretting it. Asking myself…what if?

Have you ever had an instance where you were performing in front of an audience and couldn't play?

A second grade talent show comes to mind. I thought it would be a fun idea to sing “Cornflake Girl” by Tori Amos. Only it turned out I didn’t know the lyrics as well as I thought I did. And I hadn’t quite learned the concept of projection. The teacher ended up asking me if I wanted to lip sync.
Let’s just say “Cornflake Girl” remained my nickname throughout the course of my elementary school career—and nobody meant it as a compliment.
Author’s Note: The only difference between Jasmine’s story and my own is that it wasn’t “Cornflake Girl” by Tori Amos that I sang. It was a song by an artist I’m far too ashamed to name. And no. I won’t tell anyone. Even you.

Are there any songs and artists that both you and Jasmine love to listen to?

The Birthday Massacre, The Cure, Assemblage 23, Rob Zombie, and Placebo.

Would a boy ever distract you from playing?

No boy is getting in the way of me and my guitar. Music is far too important to me.

Thanks to Tara and Teen Book Scene!

LiLi

1 comment:

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software