Friday, December 3, 2010

Captivate (Need, #2) by Carrie Jones


Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (January 5, 2010)
ISBN-10: 1599903423
ISBN-13: 978-1599903422

Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.

Warning!
THIS REVIEW DOES HAVE SOME SPOILERS THAT OCCUR IN NEED, BOOK 1.

Review:

It's only after Zara saves a pixie king that things really start to get chaotic around Bedford, Maine. When she trapped her father, she originally thought that that was only the beginning when it came to dealing with the crazy pixies trying to take over her small, winter town. However, what she doesn't expect is for this pixie king to be nice to her. What's up with that? See, when Zara came to this pixie king's rescue, she encountered another untrustworthy creature that's recruiting for a war that's said to happen very soon. When bits of mythology and history of Norse gods come to life, Zara must try to do whatever it takes to protect her family and friends. In Captivate, Book 2 of the Need series, she will have to sacrifice more than ever before.

After I read Need I knew ultimately that I would go on to read the next book in this series because I felt the war that was brewing in Bedford. I liked many things about Captivate; mostly has to do with the trickling off of events that happens after the rescue in the first scene of the book. That definitely had me grasping for more, so much so that the first time I read Captivate I ended more skimming the end than actually reading it thoroughly--something I got to yesterday for the first time. Now that Entice, Book 3, is coming out, I thought I'd review Captivate now, since in a couple of days I'll be posting my review for Book 3 too.
Anyway, when Astley--the new pixie king--and Zara encounter each other numerous times before the great ending, you can definitely feel the tension between them. That, inevitably, creates tension between Zara and Nick. I really loved the similarities in personalities between the couple throughout the book and they definitely have their faults as well. However, I found some minor glitches that I couldn't get over while reading Captivate. Zara's behavior is more and more erratic closer to the ending and it's understandable but her mood swings are a little dizzying. She often finds that she's contradicting her own thoughts after she has them; and the Weres lack of trust in pixies creates a huge rift in the scheme of things. In the end, Zara and Nick really do love each other, and in the end, that's what's put to the test the most. Zara finds herself having to confront something she made up her mind on long ago. Her perseverance to see the people she loves safe is what I find the most admirable of all. Let's just say that if you liked, loved, Need then you will be dumbfounded about Captivate.

Grade: B-

This ARC was sent to me by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books for my uninfluenced review.

LiLi



2 comments:

  1. I just finished need and I'm reading this next.Can't wait to hear what you have to say about Entice!

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! This is my first visit to your blog but it is so cool! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Protected by Copyscape Web Copyright Protection Software